Anyone who has or does live in a city knows that chances are likely you’re going to get creative with storage in your condos and apartment. Here is a list (from Style at Home) of some very cleaver ways to save on storage space in a small living area.
1. Add shelves above doorways.
2. Banish room-darkening shadows with additional light fixtures.
3. Put glass shelves across deep-set windows.
4. Use a chest or an ottoman with storage inside as a coffee table.
5. Put low bookcases along a sofa back: they’ll double as a sofa table.
6. Keep the flooring throughout a small space the same for visual continuity.
7. Line a room with a shelf high up on the wall.
8. Keep window treatments simple.
9. Run a low bookcase underneath windows.
10. Stretch your space to the outdoors by making a patio or deck comfortable and welcoming.
11. Place a large bucket for magazines next to your favourite chair.
12. Line a hallway with bookshelves.
13. Use a wicker hamper as both an end table and storage space for blankets.
14. Buy a coffee table with a drawer for remotes.
15. Carve out shallow display space between wall studs.
16. Use fewer, larger pieces of furniture and accessories to reduce visual clutter.
17. Choose sofas and chairs with plain or textured upholstery rather than vibrant prints.
18. Install shelves around a window.
19. Add window seats with lids.
20. Run shelves up to the ceiling.
21. Buy a magazine rack or stack magazines in flat-bottom baskets underneath a console or coffee table.
22. Take advantage of wasted space with corner bookcases.
23. Think monochromatic.
24. Eliminate obstructions: the further you can see into and through a space, the larger it’ll seem.
25. Arrange furnishings to avoid blocking views of windows and doors.
Whoever designed this table lived in a small space either at some point or currently. It’s fantastic!
Photo credit: The Tiny Life
Apartment Therapy recommends using a shelf as a nightstand, or even a window if deep enough.
And mount your bookcase up high to allow maximum space below.
Loving the multiple functions these shelves are serving! Desk, bookshelf, nightstand…
Photo Credit Apartment Therapy